Please do visit this website to find our more regarding Coeliac Disease.
At a Glance
- Coeliac disease is a lifelong autoimmune disease caused by a reaction to gluten.
- 1 in 100 people have the condition.
- Symptoms include diarrhoea, constipation, vomiting, stomach cramps, mouth ulcers, fatigue and anaemia.
- In undiagnosed, untreated coeliac disease there is a greater risk of complications including anaemia, osteoporosis, neurological conditions such as gluten ataxia and neuropathy, and although rare there's an increased risk of small bowel cancer and intestinal lymphoma.
- Once diagnosed, it is treated by following a gluten free diet for life.
- Dermatitis herpetiformis is the skin manifestation of coeliac disease.
You'll find some useful editorial here.